Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2011

The First

http://home.planet.nl/~helle004
Book worm, (sort of) well-read, literate, word nerd…yes, I am. All of the above.  So when a list came across my Facebook status updates called “BBC Books, Share” I latched on immediately. According to the list, the BBC published a list of the Top 100 Books, The Big Read, and a Facebooker modified the list, posting in to their notes and sharing the list with their friends. The list challenges readers to mark the books they have read and those they intend to read.

I was surprised to tally up my score and discover I had only read 28 of the Top 100! The challenge was on. I printed the list, shoved it in my purse, and headed to the library.

After reading several more books on the list (I am now up to close to 40), I posted a comment about one of the books on the Facebook list on my status update. Again, I was surprised at the discussion that followed. I thought, “Wouldn’t it be great to continue this discussion?”

A few weeks later, this blog was born. My opinion about blogs generally is very low; so much traffic on the web is useless at best, self-centered at worst. All those internet diaries bore me. Who really wants to use their precious time reading the dull details of my life?

But, what if we could have a discussion about something meaningful? Something that expands our worldview, increases brain activity, and gives us a productive, low fat escape all that the same time?

Would you like to join me? I would love to see which books you have read from the Facebook Top 100. I would love even more to hear your opinion of them. Which have you read? Which did you love? Which did you leave at the bottom of the pile by your bedside table?

2 comments:

  1. yay! i'm excited for you! and i will try to read some of the books too -- we shall see how much time i can snatch from the babes (they seem to have that 6th sense that mama wants some time to herself and then they approach with deep NEEDS) - but i'm thrilled you are blogging!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Hope you can squeeze in a good read every now and then. I think some of The List would qualify for "school" and you could read them to/with the kids: Narnia, Wind in the Willows, Little Women. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete